Wednesday, May 02, 2012

A ride with some CCB friends

April 25, 17.7 miles around Swampscott and Marblehead, climbed Greenwood Ave., rode out to the Neck, climbed Beacon Street.
April 26, Rode 19 miles to Beverly. Flatted at Prides Crossing on old tires
April 27,Took the Allez out for a spin around Marblehead Neck
April 28, Jogged a couple of miles around Phillips Beach
April 29, Longest ride so far this year. Rode 35 miles up to Essex, via Route 22, came back on Route 127.
April 30, rode about 30 miles with Mark Lorenz, Jean Magazu and Dave Selsky of CCB fame
  You can either replace old tires before you get a flat, or ruin a good ride with a flat. My luck ran out last Wednesday when I headed out for a long ride and flatted at Prides Crossing in Beverly. I had just come the back way out to Route 127, hopped over the train tracks, and wondered about the toll the ride was taking on my old ProRace3 tires. I think the back one I bought in a bike shop in Jasper, Alberta, Cananada on MS GLOBAL 2011 last August. It replaced a tire I had ruined after skidding as we headed to the Saskatchewan Crossing. Your luck with old tires runs out eventually. Trying to save money, in this case $70, and stretching a tire's life meant a wasted ride fixing a flat and heading to Marblehead Cycle for a new set of rubber.
  The highlight of my enforced week off was a ride Monday with Mark, Dave and Jean around Middleton and North Andover. It turned into a 30 mile loop but they are such strong, good riders, and they set such a relaxed pace, I never felt like I was working. Mark is battling some health issues, so it was great to get out with him and just ride. He's such a strong rider. He's like a locomotive.
I spun on Tuesday, but I think I'm overtraining at this point. I am competing in the JCC triathlon next week, and I feel like if I rest I will never be able to finish. I know I won't swim fast, and the run will be torture, but at least there's the bike! I have to be careful not to over do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home