Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bike shop boot camp survival guide

Tuesday, April 17 Spin class swelter at the JCC, rode to class and back.
Thursday, April 19 Swam at 5:15 a.m. then went to spin class at the JCC
Saturday, April 21 Rode 24.8 miles to Beverly Airport, then Wenham, down Larch Row and onto Cedar Street, coming back via East Lothrop. 1:43:16, average 14.4 mph
Sunday, April 22 Swam at the JCC. 50 yards lap in 4:58
  Coming home from a lazy ride Saturday, four riders pace-lined past me on Lothrop Street, then slowed a few blocks after that. Then, for some unknown reason, they didn't turn off for the Beverly Bridge, but continued down to Water Street toward the marina and an uphill climb to the bridge. That allowed me to get over the bridge before all but one of them, after he dropped his buddies by, I'm guessing, running a red light. I didn't take the bypass, but instead cut left on the bridge to Bridge Street in Salem.
 Later, I took a short cut in back of the Peabody Essex Museum to get to Derby Street, then skipped onto Lafayette by using the pedestrian signal. I don't know if it's legal, but at least I know that there will be no cars. I held off the chase all the way down Lafayette Street, but let up heading toward the downhill.
  "Climb aboard!" one of the riders shouted as they passed me, so I did. Just as I expected, one of the riders in a red shirt sprinted up to the base of Lafayette Hill, and as gravity pulled him back, a guy in a yellow jersey and I shot around the other two and passed him.
  It was at that moment a little voice in my head said: "Don't pass him, you have to work at the bike shop, today ..."
  And wouldn't you know it, it was a busy day at the old Marblehead Cycle. There I was, standing by the register, Col. Muammar Raymond telling me I'm talking to much as I try to ring everyone in as fast as possible. Just when the math couldn't get more confusing, I start discovering screens on the register they haven't seen in 13 years. Just how do you ring in a debit card? What is the code for "nontax/labor" again? The thought of screwing up at this point was almost too much to bear, but this is what I enlisted for. Retail means lots of pressure. After it was after 5 p.m., the day ended, and Chris ran the tape. There were no more bikes to be squeezed upstairs. No more transactions to sweat over. I had a pretty good day, despite slamming my head against the staircase for the umpteenth time. The bike shop is not going to beat my brains out! (Don't tell that to the Colonel).
  Shameless plug I'm riding for MS in the fall. There's an old coffee jar on the counter of the bike shop. Please throw a buck or two in there if you get some air or flat fixed on the go. If you want to make a donation to a great cause that is helping to speed a cure for MS, please check out my FirstGiving page I'm still $2,896 short of my goal! Thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home